- Welcome to GEAG! Here is some information about GEAG that may be helpful.
- We have a web site GEAG.net. Once there, one may go to the pull-down MENU & select MEMBERSHIP & then WELCOME PACKET. You may also look at other pages with information posted about our guild.
- We also have a public Facebook page @gatewayeastartistguild and a members only Facebook page @membersonly
- You will receive our Monthly Newsletter via E-mail.
- Our monthly meetings are on the first Wednesday of the month at 6 pm.
- Meetings are held at the PSOP building located at 201 North Church Street, Belleville, IL.
(Our Mailing Address is: GEAG, P.O. Box 4590, Fairview Heights, Illinois, 62208)
- If the meeting needs to be cancelled due to inclement weather, you will be notified via E-mail.
- If SWIC is closed for weather or health concerns, the PSOP will also be closed & we will not have an in-person meeting. We may ZOOM the meeting, & if so, you will be notified by E-mail.
- Our monthly meetings include a short business meeting, an art demonstration/presentation, & the following:
- Attendance prize – If attendance is taken via a mobile device, you will be told a number when you enter. If that technology is not available, you (or an attendance taker) will write your name on a numbered list. The person whose number is called at the end of the meeting, will win $5.
- 50/50 – When available, we will sell tickets at $1 apiece or 3 for $2. The drawing will be near the end of the meeting, and the winner will get ½ of the money.
- At each monthly meeting (except December) you may bring one piece of art to enter in our “Monthly Art Show.” Members vote by ballot for their three favorite pieces. These will determine a first, second, & third place winner. Winners will be announced & ribbons awarded. The art will also be gently critiqued.
*Note: Framing requirements do not apply at our “Monthly Art Shows.”
*Framing requirements do apply at the three special art shows listed below:
“The Best of GEAG” at the Edwardsville Art Center
“Gateway to Art” at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows
“The Holiday Show” at our December Meeting.
Framing requirements are on the web site, in the “New Member Packet,” under
“Rules & Regulations for GEAG Exhibits” 7 a-f.
An Outline of the GEAG year follows below.
- A General Overview of our usual events throughout the year (Subject to Change)
These events may be cancelled or changed due to health guidelines or weather.
- Art workshops are generally held throughout the year.
- You may volunteer to be “Artist of the Month” & display your work in the hallway of the PSOP building for one month. Volunteer with a member of the Exhibits Committee.
- Winter – Monthly meetings.
- Spring – Monthly meetings.
- “The Best of GEAG” art show at the Edwardsville Art Center (EAC).
- The GEAG Auction - Members bring/donate gently used art supplies they no longer want to the specified meeting. Other members bid on the items (most items by “silent auction” written bids). The highest bids win, & all money collected goes to GEAG.
- An art process demonstration tent at “Art on the Square” in Belleville.
- Summer – Monthly meetings
- Our largest exhibit of the year, “Gateway to Art”, is usually held at The Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows.
- An art process demonstration tent at “Salute the Masters” in Fairview Heights.
- October – Monthly meeting
- An art sampler held once-a-week during the month in which you may participate, or help.
- November – Monthly meeting
- Besides our “Monthly Art Show,” we will also have a “Christmas Ornament Show.”
- Each year we decorate a tree in the Visitor’s Center at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows. Members are encouraged to make Christmas ornaments pertaining to our given theme to help us decorate the tree. You may make as many as you like.
- December – Special Membership Meeting/Holiday Party!
- Rather than our usual monthly art show, during this meeting, we have “The Holiday Show” which is juried by an independent judge. You may enter one piece.
- We also have an informal Christmas Card Contest. You may make a Christmas card (suitable for mailing) & members will vote on them (like the art in other months). Winners will be announced.
- A buffet dinner & gift exchange may take place - dependent on current health guidelines.
Again, Welcome to GEAG!
The following pages on our web site were written
pre-pandemic. Some of the procedures. dates, etc. have changed.