Rules and Regulations for GEAG Exhibits
- There are three scheduled GEAG exhibits per year:
- “Best of GEAG” exhibit will be in the spring at the Edwardsville Arts Center
- “Gateway to Art” exhibit (also known as the Shrine Show) will be July/August at Our Lady of the Snows National Shrine
- The annual Holiday Show will be held at the December meeting/Christmas Party at the PSOP Building.
- ELIGIBILITY: Exhibitions are open to members only. Members must be in good standing to enter; the Treasurer’s record shall be considered final. NOTE: All are welcome to join GEAG at any time during the year, even when applying for exhibitions. To join, complete a membership application found atwww.geag.net and submit $35 with your exhibit entry. All memberships expire the following March 31; dues are not prorated.
- Only original works may be exhibited. Any copies or work done under instruction or from copyrighted photos/artwork will not be accepted. Prints from originals paintings or drawings, giclee prints of paintings or drawings, and digital reproductions of paintings or drawings are not allowed. EXCEPTION: This does not apply to GEAG artists who create digital photography or computer graphic art.
- Scheduled exhibition venues may exclude works featuring the nude figure; therefore, these works will not be accepted for any GEAG exhibit.
- Artwork must be completed within the last three years for all GEAG exhibits. Artworks that have previously won an award, including honorable mention, in prior GEAG shows are not eligible for any other GEAG exhibit. This does not include awards received at the monthly GEAG art contest.
- NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Members may enter up to three original pieces of artwork for “Best of GEAG” and “Gateway to Art”, but only one entry for the Holiday Show. Diptychs and triptychs which are under one frame will be considered one entry for entry fee and judging purposes. If under separate frames, they will be considered separate paintings for entry fee and judging.
- FRAMING/SIZE OF ARTWORK: All 2D artwork will be framed as follows:
- a) Watercolor/drawing/pastel paintings and digital photographs shall be securely and appropriately framed with a mat and under acrylic/plexiglas or glass. D rings and wire, adequate for hanging weight, are required. No saw tooth hangers or screw eyes.EXCEPTION: paintings which are floated on mat board with some mat border showing are acceptable. Digital photography shall be matted and framed as stated OR printed on 1.5” gallery wrapped canvas.
- Oil/acrylic: Framed canvas artwork must comply with hanging requirements listed above. Unframed canvas must be 1.5” gallery wrapped with painted edges.
- Maximum framed dimensions on the longest side shall not exceed: 32”, plus or minus 1/4”, for all exhibitions. Exception: Artwork for the Holiday Show may be any size provided the artist brings an easel to display the piece.
- Mats, glass and plexiglass need to be clean and free of scratches. Frames must have solid corners and no obvious damage. Wood frames with glass must have paper dust covers on the back if the artwork is for sale. Metal frames and framed canvasses do not require dust covers.
- The Exhibits committee may disallow work not appropriately matted and framed.
- Name, address and title of artwork must be taped to the back of the artwork at time of exhibition receiving date.
- The Exhibits committee has the sole authority to accept, place and hang entries. The actions of the exhibition committee shall be considered final.
- GEAG is not responsible for damaged or stolen artwork. All entrants must sign a waiver of responsibility prior to or at the time of exhibition receiving date.
- Each artist must adhere to the specified times for receiving and retrieval. Paintings cannot be hung before or after, or removed before, specified times. All accepted work must remain installed until the designated retrieval time. This applies to all GEAG shows, except that the gallery may remove sold artwork when the buyer lives out of town. There will be no early drop-offs. Artists who are unable to deliver or retrieve their own artworkmay authorize another party to do so.
- FEE SCHEDULE:
- “Best of GEAG” – Edwardsville Arts Center (EAC): GEAG will pay a fee of $300 to the EAC for the exhibit. Members will pay $15.00 per piece or $40 for three pieces. The EAC will retain a 20% commission on all sales (subject to change).
- “Gateway to Art”– Our Lady of the Snows National Shrine: Members will pay $15 per piece or $40 for three pieces. The Shrine will retain a 25% commission on all sales (subject to change).
- “Holiday Show” – PSOP: No entry fee.
Join us for the 2021 Best of GEAG show at the Edwardsville Arts Center!
Download the Prospectus
Deadline for submission is April 16th, 2021.
Pay via Paypal
$15 for up to 3 pieces
Call for artists! GEAG invites submissions for the Best of GEAG at EAC Exhibition.
The exhibition is open to 2D and 3D GEAG artists. Only the first 100 pieces entered will be accepted.
Dates and Deadlines
- Deadline for Entries: April 16, 2021.
- Exhibition Dates: May 7 - July 9, 2021.
- Opening Reception: Via Zoom, May 16, 2021 at 1 pm (tentative plan)
- Delivery of Art: April 30, 2021 at 2 - 6pm
- Delivery of Art: May 1, 2021 at 2 - 6 pm
- Pick Up of Art: Friday, July 9 at 2 - 6pm
- Pick Up of Art: Saturday, July 10 at 2 - 6pm
- Other pick up times can be arranged during normal EAC business hours.
- Entry Fees
- Entry fee of $15.00 for one, two or three pieces of artwork.
- A maximum of 3 pieces of art may be entered
- Payment is required at the time of entry
Awards and Prizes
- Cash awards and ribbons will be given for Best in Show, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd places. Ribbons awarded for 3 Honorable Mention.
- Open to GEAG members only
- Work must be the original creation of the artist and completed within the past 3 years
- Work completed under the direction of an instructor or in a class/workshop is ineligible.
- Work that has previously won an award in a GEAG professionally judged exhibition is ineligible.
- 3D work that is extremely fragile, very small, that has a very small bottom/base, is unstable, or does not sit flat on a pedestal is ineligible.
- 2D work must be properly framed with braided picture wire for hanging (no saw tooth hangers)
- Work on canvas may be framed, strip-framed or gallery-wrapped
- 2D work may not exceed 32” including frame
- 2D work may not exceed 40 lbs
- 3D work may sit on a pedestal or be wall-hung (not to exceed 40 lbs)
- A limited number of standard size pedestals are available for display of 3D work
- If your 3D work is odd-sized, excessively heavy, or requires a very specific size pedestal, plan on providing that pedestal yourself
Best of GEAG 2019
The award winners from the Best of GEAG 2019 are, from left to right: 1st place - Christina MacMorran, Best of Show - Marty Spears, Award of Merit- Susan Kunz, Award of Merit - Ana Sumner, 3rd Place - Lisa Truttman, and 2nd Place - Ron Vivod.
(not shown, Award of Merit - Irene Mueller)